Brierly Place from the canal bridge, before the canal was filled in to make the by-pass. This is taken from the position of the turning to Cwmcarn High School   © TBA

 

A view of Cwmcarn from the mountainside to the north, 1950     © The Francis Frith Collection

 

Newport Road, Cwmcarn in 1950, looking towards Pontywaun. On the right is the Post Office, which still occupies this site today, and further on down on the same side is Jack Hatfield's bike shop.    © The Francis Frith Collection

 

 

Newport Road, Cwmcarn in 1954, looking back towards Abercarn from the corner by Cwmcarn School   
© The Francis Frith Collection

 

 

 On the right, at the side of the canal, can be seen the Coal Board Offices in 1954 (white building); the building can still be seen at the side of the present-day by-pass    © The Francis Frith Collection

 

An aerial photograph of Cwmcarn in 1954, showing the relatively new factory development. Cwmcarn Hotel can be seen, near the centre at the left, and the canal bank is clearly visible, marking the line the by-pass now takes.   

© The Francis Frith Collection





Cwmcarn Junior School, 1941, with teacher Miss Kate Simpson. Interestingly, the pupils at the front left and back right both seem to have had their heads superimposed! Photograph courtesy of Brian Collins.
 















































 

 

Cwmcarn School Rugby XV, around 1927; the third boy from the right in the back row is Leonard Lloyd (senior). Photograph courtesy of his son Leonard Lloyd.




Cwmcarn School's cup-winning team, around 1930 - the sport is unknown. Leonard Lloyd's Uncle Sam is the tallest boy in the back row. Photograph courtesy of Leonard Lloyd

 







 







Cwmcarn United's tour to the Scotland v Wales game, probably in the early 60's, with Bill Evans in the centre, Ray Davies top right and Lou James bottom left. Photograph courtesy of Rob Dobson.



















Cwmcarn RFC Youth XV, during their tour to Bournemouth 1974-75 season. Photograph supplied by Dai Arnold.








































































A watercolour by Frances, Baroness Bunsen (1791-1876); looking back up the valley from the canal at Pontywaun, towards the lock at Factory Trip and Cwmcarn village. The artist has romanticized the view, making the canal and river much closer than they actually are.

Dated October 1838.


































 Three Cwmcarn boys in the Newport RFC strip; all represented Wales at the end of the 50's and beginning of the 60's. From left to right: Jack Hurrell, Des Greenslade and Brian Jones. Photograph courtesy of Brian Jones.
Three Newport RFC players in their Barbarian shirts, at the old Cardiff Arms Park following the famous 6-0 win over South Africa on the 4th February 1961; the very muddy chap on the left is Newbridge-born scrum-half Billy Watkins, in the middle is the famous Welsh lock Brian 'B.E.V.' Price from Deri and on the right is centre Brian Jones. Photograph courtesy of Brian Jones.
Cwmcarn-born Newport and Wales centre Brian Jones in his Welsh cap and jersey, around 1961. Photograph courtesy of Brian Jones.